Updates

Summary Post

The process of developing the tool to adapt to education studies has been an interesting one.  Starting by collecting resources, then gathering information through interviewing members of staff, creating the facets and tags, addressing any issues (such as rearranging facets and copyright problems), and researching any literature to see what potential there is for future development.

As stated in a previous post, I began the process by collecting video resources to be uploaded onto the tool.  This was, to some extent, a time consuming task. This being due to having to enter Blackboard where there are numerous files and documents to search through before I could find a video.  Therefore proving how effective a tool like VIPER can be.  Escaping the structure of Blackboard and the multiple sections there are just to find one piece of information, and replacing it with a tool which gives you the information in an open way and provides more variety in the area you are searching.  Once I had collected any videos I had access to, the next step was to interview members of staff, firstly to find what they would want from the tool but also to gain more resources.

When interviewing the staff I found a variety of opinions towards the tool. Some felt that it was a good tool to use (especially when they were told about the option to clip a video), all thought that the tool would have great use for a storage system, and unfortunately, some felt that the tool would not be effective as it would encourage the repeated use of videos in lectures.  However, I feel that this opinion can be changed when the members of staff see the tool in action. From a student perspective, I feel that this tool can be very useful to enhance the learning and gaining of critical writing skills.  I also think that students are much more likely to utilise this tool as for many it is easier to gain an understanding of information through watching and listening to a video, than reading about the information.

An issue that has been raised is that some videos are not able to be uploaded onto the tool due to copyright procedure.  This issue has made it clear that there are other means to access videos (through network video service).  However, this is appearing non user friendly and therefore discouraging use of the service.  One of the outcomes of my project is that the Ensemble team are now discussing with the relevant university departments how to make the network video service more viper-like, and more user friendly for staff and students.

Through the reading of literature, there seems to be a focus on the use of videos to find how influential they are, but very little information on the area of how videos are utilised and the benefits and pitfalls of that.

There are some suggested developments that can be formed for this tool, including:

  • Using it as a form of assessment (formative or peer)
  •  Student collaboration (students having the ability to upload their own videos to share with peers)
  •  For PE and education studies; merging the dance tool and education studies tool to create a separate tool
  •  Using the tool with various resources
  • Video uploads of lectures (revision purposes)

With all this being addressed the tool will be publicised to both staff and students at the beginning of the first semester, hopefully encouraging the use of and expanding the understanding of the tool.

Advertisements

Discussion

Comments are closed.

Previous Posts

%d bloggers like this: