Updates

April Summary

One month in and generally speaking we are on course for the timeline we set out for the project, and we have been to a couple of JISC meetings too.

Agustina and Kate attended the OER programme meeting in London on 26th March. Here we had the opportunity to meet teams from the other Rapid Innovation projects for the first time. A number of them are also working with video, and we will be following these with interest as the projects develop. It was also interesting to hear about the projects from other strands, particularly the ‘content’ programme, as they will producing the kind of objects our tool will be integrating into its ‘bundles’ of content. Agustina doesn’t actually start work on the project until July, but now we are in contact with the people she will need to speak to at JORUM to make sure our app can work with its resources, and that it produces the right metadata for bundles to be archived in JORUM.

Kate also attended the Discovery meeting in Birmingham on 23/24 March. Again it was interesting to meet representatives of different projects and programmes, and the meeting did talk about some issues of relevance to our project. Mainly these relate to licensing and metadata. We will need to explore both of these points more with our potential users, when we meet them to discuss how they might use this tool, and what kind of content/data they might wish to use it with. This will help us to understand what kinds of materials people may want to bring together, and what kind of use, re-use and licensing issues might arise from their choices. We have formulated a starting position, though, and this is outlined below.

Otherwise, work on the initial prototypes has been progressing well, and we have arranged our first participatory design workshop for 24th May. We have also been in touch with David Karger, who is enthusiastic about the new developments and has sent some suggestions to work on.

Decisions and directions so far

  • Compatibility: In the past we have encountered some issues making  Exhibits display properly in various versions of some browsers. As the emphasis on this project is on innovation and development, we decided that the best thing to do would be to make the finished tool a HTML5 application. This will enable the tool to make the most of the features of the most up-to-date browsers, avoid the need to spend lots of time working on compatibility issues with older ones, and allow Simon to concentrate on the functions and interface instead.
  • Licensing: Users of this tool will create their own narratives and annotations around a video (on YouTube)  plus other online resources. As these will be made up of a mixture of content created by that particular user, and other items they have found on the web, to begin with, we have decided to remind them of their responsibilities regarding copyright and re-use, but then to leave it to them to use materials appropriately. YouTube has two license options for video uploads: standard YouTube, and CC BY, and Simon working on incorporating ‘search by licence type’ into the prototype video uploader.  As a starting point, we have decided that the narrative structure of the ‘bundles’ of resources our app produces will be licenced as CC BY by default, with the content retaining whatever re-use license it had already.
Advertisements

Discussion

Comments are closed.

Previous Posts